I’ve never been into fads and diets when it comes to losing weight. But recently my friend suggested trying Whole30 after I was having a bit of a “I feel shit” moment after multiple weekends of binge drinking, Uber Eats and hangovers. It can be hard to stick to a healthy lifestyle in Melbourne, because there are so many bars, restaurants and cafes to explore. It’s even harder when you have friends or family visiting and you’re then out all the time to catch up with them. So when my friend recommended Whole30, I knew it was time to have a cleanse from my extremely sociable and unhealthy lifestyle.
Not going to lie, I was absolutely dreading the approach of September knowing my life was going to revolve around Whole30. But it’s been one of the best things I’ve done for my body. I feel fantastic, and while losing weight isn’t the objective of the program, it’s definitely a bonus.
One of my staples throughout my first attempt of Whole30 is my smashed avo recipe. I feel like I’m treating myself to brunch every morning (compared to raiding the office’s bread to make some toast). It took a while to nail this recipe and I have to confess; I set off the smoke alarm at 11pm on a Saturday when I first made it! So definitely keep some doors and windows open when you’re whipping this one up.
Not only is this smashed avo recipe delicious, it is pretty easy to make in advanced (once you nail cooking the fritters!). I’d usually cook up all the fritters over the weekend, while I’ve cook my poached eggs every evening and then smash up the avos in the morning.
- 2kg white potatoes, peeled, grated and excess liquid removed
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- Olive oil
- 3 ripe avocados, mashed
- 2 lemons
- 6 eggs, poached
- Place grated potatoes in a mixing bowl with salt, almond meal, arrowroot powder and two eggs. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- In a fry pan over low to medium heat, add 2 tbsp of olive oil. Scoop a handful of potato mixture and shape it in your hands before adding to the frypan. Cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown and then flip over. Again, cook for roughly 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Continue Step 2 until mixture is entirely used.
- To serve, add two dessert spoons of mashed avocado on each fritter and place a poached egg on top. Drizzle with lemon juice.